We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
From the British colony Carolina were formed the colonies (later states) of North and South Carolina.
( Sch t. 230; 1. 89'6"; b. 24'4"; dph. 11'4"; cpl. 100
a. 14 guns)
Carolina, a schooner, was built at Charleston, s.e.; purchased by the Navy while still on the stocks launched 10 November 1812, and commissioned 4 June 1813, Lieutenant J. D. Henley in command.
Carolina set sail for New Orleans, and while making her passage, captured the British schooner Shark. Arriving at New Orleans 23 August 1813, she began an active career of patrol directed against possible British action as well as the pirates which infested the Caribbean. On 10 September 1814, Carolina attacked and destroyed the stronghold of the notorious Jean Lafitte on the island of Barataria.
Carolina, with the others of the small naval force in the area, carried out the series of operations which gave General Andrew Jackson time to prepare the defense of New Orleans when the British threatened the city in December 1814. On 23 December, she dropped down the river to the British bivouac which she bombarded with so telling an effect as to make a material contribution to the eventual victory. As the British stiffened their efforts to destroy the naval force and to take the city, Carolina came under heavy fire from enemy artillery on 27 December. The heated shot set her afire, and her crew was forced to abandon her. Shortly after, she exploded.
Carolina, a Coast Guard vessel, was built at Morehead City, N.C., in 1906 In accordance with Federal legislation of 28 January 1915, this ship was automatically transferred to the Navy upon United States entry into World War I. There is no record of her ever having performed active duty, and she was returned to the Coast Guard by an order of 28 August 1919.
Original Building of the Penn School | History of SC Slide Collection
The original building of the Penn School photographed around 1890. The Penn School, located on St. Helena's Island, was the first school for freed African-Americans opened by northerners in the South. The most successful part of the "Port Royal Experiment," the school was founded in 1862 soon after Federal armies occupied the Beaufort area, and operated for more than 40 years by Laura Towne and Ellen Murray (see Ellen Murray) as representatives of the Philadelphia Port Royal Relief Committee. The first African-American teacher at the school was Charlotte Forten, who came in October of 1862. This small prefabricated schoolhouse, sent in 1864, was the first permanent building of the Penn School. From 1864 to 1900, the school expanded to serve the educational needs of African-Americans in the Sea Islands, including industrial arts as well as an academic curriculum. Between 1900 and 1948 it became the Penn Normal, Industrial, and Agricultural School, one of the better known schools for African-Americans in the South. It accepted its last class in 1948 in 1953, when the last class graduated, the task of educating African-American students on the islands was transferred to the Beaufort County School System. The school campus, designated as a National Historic District in 1974, is now the Penn Center, which operates a wide range of programs to preserve the vital African-American heritage of the Sea Islands.
From the Penn School Collection. Permission granted by Penn Center, Inc., St. Helena Island, SC.
History of the Brody School of Medicine
1965 – North Carolina General Assembly authorizes East Carolina College to establish a School of Medicine.
1967 – East Carolina University awarded university status by the state legislature.
1969 – General Assembly appropriates addition planning and development funds for the medical school. Core faculty and administrative personnel were also recruited to complete the first stage of development of the school.
1971 – Upon the recommendation of Governor Robert W. Scott and the State Board of Higher Education, the General Assembly appropriates operating funds to allow the enrollment of the first students into a one-year program.
Fall of 1972 – The first 20 students are enrolled in the East Carolina University School of Medicine. These students, all North Carolinians, successfully completed the one-year program at ECU and transferred to the sophomore class of the School of Medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
1975 – Upon recommendation of the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina system, the General Assembly appropriates $43 million for initial construction of facilities and implementation of a new four-year medical school at East Carolina University.
April 1977 – The East Carolina University School of Medicine receives provisional accreditation and authorization to admit its charter class of 28 students in the fall of that year.
Aug. 1977 – In August 1977, the East Carolina University School of Medicine opens its doors to the first class of 28 four-year students.
1977 – Residency program accredited for family medicine.
1978 – Residency programs accredited for psychiatric medicine, medicine, pediatrics, surgery, and obstetrics and gynecology.
March 30, 1979 – Groundbreaking ceremony held for the new Medical Sciences Building.
1979 – Programs leading to the Doctor of Philosophy degree in anatomy and cell biology, biochemistry, microbiology and immunology, pharmacology, and physiology are initiated.
Feb. 1981 – The School of Medicine receives full accreditation.
May 1981 – The charter class graduates, including Natalear Collins and Brenda Klutz, the School of Medicine’s first African-American graduates.
1982 – Emergency medicine residency program accredited.
Oct. 29, 1982 – Ribbon cutting ceremony held for the newly constructed Brody Medical Sciences Building.
1983 – The first Doctor of Philosophy degree conferred by East Carolina University awarded through the medical school.
1985 – Residency programs accredited for anatomic and clinical pathology.
1987 – Doctoral program in pathology added.
1999 – Renamed the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, in recognition of the continuous support of the Brody family, former owners of the Brody’s retail chain.
May 3, 2000 – Dr. Randolph Chitwood, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Brody, performs the first robotic heart valve surgery in North America
2016 – Brody is one of seven schools globally to receive a 2016 Aspire to Excellence Award, from the Association for Medical Education in Europe. Brody was honored in the social accountability category for emphasizing training in primary care.
2017 – The Brody School of Medicine Student National Medical Association chapter received regional recognition for extensive community service. The group supports minority medical students and underserved communities