6 October 1943

6 October 1943

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

6 October 1943

October 1943

> November


Day two of a two day sea and air bombardment of Japanese positions on Wake Island

American troops land on Kolombangara Island (New Georgia)

Battle of Vella Lavella, Japanese naval victory that allows them to evacuate their last troops from Vella Lavella island.

6 October 1943 - History

My heartiest thanks are given to my friend and fellow undergraduate of far distant Cambridge days, the Rev. A. Lukyn Williams, Vicar of Guilden Morden, and Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Durham, for his kindness in revising the proofs and making many suggestions.

He mentions Lukyn Williams several times throughout the History of CMJ:

At the Islington Clerical Meeting in January 1892 the Jewish subject had a place, excellent papers being read by the Revs. C. H. Banning and J. E. Brenan on ” The present condition of the Jews” and again in 1895, when high class papers on ” The Evangelization of the Jews ” were read by Archdeacon Perowne of Norwich, and the Rev. A. Lukyn Williams. The latter’s illuminating paper on ” Methods,” embracing the experiences gained in London as head of the mission, was fruitful in its excellence.

THIS Period saw some veiy important developments in the work in London, where both in 1891, and again in 1895, radical changes took place. In the former year the Rev. A. Lukyn Williams, who had had a distinguished career at Cambridge, was appointed head of the mission, Principal of the College, and chaplain. It was thought that a triple arrangement of this kind, combining the superin- tendence of all the work under one head, might conduce to the greater efficiency of the mission. Mr. Williams brought to the discharge of his onerous duties a freshness and zeal, and new methods of work, which soon had gratifying results. He commenced by recognizing the fact that the Jews of London belong to three classes, the wealthy, the middle-class in the East End and elsewhere, and the foreigners, and that if all are to be reached each class must be dealt with in a different way. The wealthy can be influenced only through the press or by the organizations of the parish the second class can be visited, especially by non-Jewish workers and the third, attracted to a mission hall. To reach the first, a new publication, Jews and Christians, already referred to, was started.

To reach the second, missionaries were sent into all parts of London. For the third clas class, a hall for aggressive evangelistic work was secured at No. 4, Goulston Street, just two doors off the Whitechapel High Street, with a dispensary attached to it. For the more pastoral side of the work, one of the houses in Palestine Place was set apart as a mission centre, and the “Lewis Way” library, which consisted principally of standard Jewish works published before 1825, moved into it. The church, which of recent years had been less and less attended by residents in the neighbourhood, became more and more a special chapel for the mission. The Rev. F. L. Denman (now Secretary), was appointed assistant chaplain, and the Rev. H. O. Allbrook continued to render voluntary aid. The College received a large amount of Mr. Williams’ attention, the Rev. G. C. Daw, now Vicar of St. Mark’s, Dalston, remaining as resident tutor.

A special Committee, composed of experts, with the Rev. A. Lukyn Williams as adviser, is continuously at work revising the existing tracts, and bringing them up to date

Reflection and prayer: Lukyn Williams’ works, his commentaries, survey of Adversus Judaeos literature, and writings on Jewish evangelism, mark the high water-mark of 19 th century Jewish missions. A gentleman scholar and practitioner, he leaves a standard of scholarship, devotion and wisdom that is much needed today. Deo gratias!

Williams, A. Lukyn, Missions to the Jews, an Historical Retrospect, London, 1897.

06/10/1943 – buried 12/10/1943 age 90 f16

Warden of the Central Society of Sacred Study in the Diocese of Ely and writer

WILLIAMS, ARTHUR LUKYN (b. 1853 d. 6 Oct 1943) Anglican clergyman and theological college principal.

With first class hons in theology at Cambridge in 1875, the youthful Williams (ordained deacon 1876, and priest 1877 to a Jesus College living) was commended to Bishop Barker, desperate for a principal of Moore Theological College, Sidney, Australia. Williams began enthusiastically at MTC in July 1878, keen to meet the demand for more ordinands as Sydney grew in population. But enrolments however remained modest, even though diocesan leadership knew that their own college must be the principal source of new clergy. He aimed for a uniform entrance exam, more clearly defined studies focussed on Old Testament, New Testament and church history, and an ‘Inter-Diocesan Board of Examination’ to assess the achievements of ordination candidates. Like his predecessors he battled colonial parsimony until his health declined in 1884 and he was forced to resign. He ‘was able to pursue his labours as scholar and author in the genial atmosphere of Cambridge until his death’ (Loane, Centenary History :60).

M L Loane, A Centenary History of Moore Theological College (Sydney, 1955)

Arthur Lukyn Williams (1853-1943) was an English New Testament scholar at Jesus College, Cambridge.[1][2] From 1878 until 1884 he was Principal of Moore Theological College in Sydney, New South Wales. [3] He was also a Christian apologist active in Christian mission to Jews.[4]

WILLIAMS, ARTHUR LUKYN. Adm. pens, (age i8) at Jesus, Oct. I, 1871. S. of the Rev. James Augustus (1838), deceased. B.near Basingstoke. School, Haileybury. Matric. Michs.

1871 Carus prize, 1873 B.A. (Theol. Trip., ist Class) 1875 WILLIAMS, BENNET. Adm. Fell.-Com. (age 18) at Peter-

Tyrwhitt Scholar, 1876 Evans prize, 1875 Crosse Scholar, 1875 Le Bas prize, 1875 Scholefield prize, 1875 Hebrew prize, 1875 M.A. 1878 B.D. 1906 D.D. 1911. Ord. deacon (Ely), 1876 priest, 1877 C. of Grantchester, Cambs., 1876-7. Principal of Moore Theological College and Inc. of Holds worthy, Sydney, Austraha, 1878-84. R. of Ampton, Suffolk, 1885-91. Chaplain and Head of the London Mission to the Jews Society, 1891-5. V. of Guilden Morden, Cambs., 1895 1919. Warburton Lecturer, Lincoln’s Inn, 1911-15. Hon. Canon of Ely, 1912-43. Married, 1878, Caroline Isabella Bessie, dau. of John Parry, of Calcutta. Author, The

Doctrines of Modern Judaism Considered Justin Martyr’s Dialogue with Trypho Talmudic Judaism and Christianity The Foundation of the Christian Faith Adversus Judaeos, etc.

Latterly of 113, Grantchester Meadows, Cambridge. Died Oct. 6, 1943 buried at Guilden Morden. Brother of Frank R. (1881). (Haileybury Reg. Crockford The Times, Oct. 8,

Capt. George A. Wildmann, MD - KIA October 7, 1943

Seeking any information about Capt. George A. Wildmann, MD - KIA October 7, 1943 in/around Avellino, Italy.  Capt. Wildmann was with the 441st Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA) Automatic Weapons (AW) Battalion (S-P) attached to the 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Fifth Army, when he was killed.

The  CO of the 441st AAA (a/k/a Coastal Art.) AW SP, attached to the 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, Fifth Army was relieved of his command on October 12, 1943 as that BN was crossing the Volturno River in Southern Italy.  His name is (former) Lt. Col. Clifton L. MacLachlan.  He was demoted to Capt. Effective January 10, 1944 and  dismissed from duty with the Coastal Art. Bn. Seeking any any information about this incident as it may have a direct bearing on a relative lost during the battle to cross the Volturno River in Italy, in early October, 1943.

Re: Capt. George A. Wildmann, MD - KIA October 7, 1943
Rebecca Collier 04.06.2019 12:11 (в ответ на Robert Ragolia)

6 October 1943 - History

Below is the complete text from the QuickTime movie presentation of Heinrich Himmler's Poznan speech of October 4, 1943.

Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler, the second most powerful man in Nazi Germany, speaks to SS officers for three hours in a secret meeting.

Himmler's recording survived the war. It is now in the National Archives in College Park, Maryland.

What you are hearing has not been edited.

Himmler is finishing talking about weapons factories.

Ich will auch ein ganz schweres Kapitel will ich hier vor Ihnen in aller Offenheit nennen.

Es soll zwischen uns ausgesprochen sein, und trotzdem werden wir nicht in der Öffentlichkeit nie darüber reden.

I also want to mention a very difficult subject before you here, completely openly.

It should be discussed amongst us, and yet, nevertheless, we will never speak about it in public.

Wie wir darüber niemals gesprochen haben und sprechen werden.

About which we have never spoken, and never will speak.

Es gehört zu den Dingen, die man leicht ausspricht. "Das jüdische Volk wird ausgerottet", sagt Ihnen jeder Parteigenosse, "ganz klar, steht in unserem Programm drin, Ausschaltung der Juden, Ausrottung, machen wir, pfah!, Kleinigkeit".

It is one of those things that is easily said. "The Jewish people is being exterminated," every Party member will tell you, "perfectly clear, it's part of our plans, we're eliminating the Jews, exterminating them, ha!, a small matter."

Yom Kippur War: Aftermath

Israel’s victory came at the cost of heavy casualties, and Israelis criticized the government’s lack of preparedness. In April 1974, the nation’s prime minister, Golda Meir (1898-1978), stepped down.

Although Egypt had again suffered military defeat at the hands of its Jewish neighbor, the initial Egyptian successes greatly enhanced Sadat’s prestige in the Middle East and gave him an opportunity to seek peace. In 1974, the first of two Egyptian-Israeli disengagement agreements providing for the return of portions of the Sinai to Egypt were signed, and in 1979 Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin (1913-92) signed the first peace agreement between Israel and one of its Arab neighbors. In 1982, Israel fulfilled the 1979 peace treaty by returning the last segment of the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt.

For Syria, the Yom Kippur War was a disaster. The unexpected Egyptian-Israeli cease-fire exposed Syria to military defeat, and Israel seized even more territory in the Golan Heights. In 1979, Syria voted with other Arab states to expel Egypt from the Arab League.


On the morning of October 6, 1943, a force of 9 destroyers and assorted landing craft under the command of Rear Admiral Matsuji Ijuin set sail from Rabaul headed for Vella Lavella to evacuate that island’s approximately 600-man garrison. In an early example of “leapfrogging”, American forces had bypassed Kolombangara and landed with little opposition at Vella Lavella on 15 August.

On the Afternoon of October 6 th , search planes sighted the Japanese force and six American destroyers in the area sailed toward the evacuation point at Marquana Bay. A group of three destroyers, Selfridge (DD-357), Chevalier (DD-451), and O’Bannon (DD-450), under the command of Captain Frank Walker arrived at their rendezvous point ahead of the other three destroyers commanded by Captain Harold Larson. Knowing that a Japanese scout plane had denied him the element of surprise, Captain Walker decided not to wait for Larson’s group before he engaged the much larger Japanese force.

Shortly before midnight, American torpedoes and gunfire turned the Japanese destroyer Yugumo into a flaming wreck, but the long odds soon asserted themselves. Chevalier had to be abandoned and only heroic damage control saved Selfridge from the same fate. The appearance of Larson’s destroyers convinced the Japanese commander to retire toward Rabaul. The Japanese had successfully evacuated the garrison at the cost of only one destroyer. However, Captain Walker’s daring and initiative underscored the certainty of eventual victory as the Allies wrested control of the Solomons Islands from the Japanese. займ онлайн без отказа

6 October 1943 - History

Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.

P-51, also called Mustang, a single-seat, single-engine fighter aircraft originally designed and produced by North American Aviation for the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and later adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF). The P-51 is widely regarded as the finest all-around piston-engined fighter of World War II to be produced in significant numbers.

The P-51 originated with an April 1940 proposal to the British Aircraft Purchasing Commission by the chief designer of North American Aviation, J.H. (“Dutch”) Kindelberger, to design a fighter from the ground up rather than produce another fighter, the Curtiss P-40, under license. The result was a trim low-wing monoplane powered by a liquid-cooled in-line Allison engine. Other fighters powered by non-turbo-supercharged Allisons, notably the P-40 and P-39, had shown mediocre performance, and the U.S. War Department had reserved turbo-supercharger production for four-engined bombers (the P-38 Lightning being the only exception at that point). Nevertheless, by using experimental data obtained from the U.S. National Advisory Committee on Aviation, Kindelberger’s team achieved a giant leap in performance. Their design, dubbed Mustang by the British, had a low-drag laminar-flow wing and an efficient low-drag engine cooling system that gave it exceptional speed and range. It had a maximum speed of about 390 miles (630 km) per hour and a combat range of roughly 750 miles (1,200 km). The use of external drop tanks nearly doubled its operational range to 1,375 miles (2,200 km). The only drawback was the Allison’s lack of an efficient high-altitude supercharger, which restricted the plane to low-altitude operations below 15,000 feet (4,600 metres). The Mustang first flew in October 1940, entered production in May 1941, and began combat operations with the RAF in April 1942. Some 1,579 Allison-powered Mustangs were produced. They were typically equipped with two .50-calibre nose-mounted and four .30-calibre wing-mounted machine guns, although one model had four 20-mm cannons and another (the A-36A) was a dive-bomber for the USAAF. They served as low-altitude fighters and as long-range photo-reconnaissance aircraft under the designation F-6, mostly with the RAF.

In the meantime, the British had experimented with Mustangs fitted with the powerful Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, and they discovered that the Merlin’s efficient mechanical supercharger gave the fighter outstanding high-altitude performance. North American quickly followed suit. The Merlin was already being produced under license in the United States by the Packard Motor Company, and by the summer of 1943 Packard Merlin-powered P-51s were coming off North American’s assembly line. Merlin-powered P-51s, equipped with jettisonable drop tanks, had an operational range of more than 1,600 miles (2,500 km), and they mounted their first long-range bomber escort missions over Germany in mid-December 1943. They quickly established ascendancy over Germany’s premier fighters, the Me 109 and the Fw 190. The P-51’s superiority was particularly evident above 20,000 feet (6,000 metres). By March 1944, P-51s were available in quantity and, in combination with drop tank-equipped P-47 Thunderbolts and P-38s, had taken the Luftwaffe’s measure in the daylight skies over Germany.

The crippling losses which the U.S. bombers had previously suffered were thereafter drastically reduced: in October 1943 as many as 9.1 percent of the Eighth Air Force bomber sorties credited with attacking their targets had failed to return, and a further 45.6 percent had been damaged. In February 1944 the corresponding figures fell to 3.5 percent and 29.9 percent. From that point, Germany was effectively under round-the-clock bombardment. Though fewer in number, the P-51 could penetrate deeper into German airspace than the other U.S. fighters and was better in air-to-air combat it thus played a disproportionately large role in the defeat of the Luftwaffe.

Approximately 1,500 Merlin-powered Mustangs were used by the RAF for daylight duties over Europe, and the plane was produced under license in Australia toward the end of the war. A few were delivered to Nationalist China. The most widely produced version was the P-51D. Fitted with a Plexiglas “bubble” canopy for all-around vision, it flew to a maximum speed of about 440 miles (700 km) per hour, reached an operating ceiling of almost 42,000 feet (12,800 metres), and was armed with six wing-mounted 0.50-inch (12.7-mm) machine guns. Hard points below each wing allowed the P-51D to be fitted with 500-pound (230-kg) bombs or three-shot 4.5-inch (114-mm) rocket launchers, bolstering its capabilities as a close air support platform. Beginning in the spring of 1945, later versions of the Mustang designed for extremely long-range operations flew over Japan from bases in the Mariana Islands. The photo-reconnaissance version of the Mustang, the F-6, was used in all theatres of the war by both the USAAF and the RAF. Unlike photo-reconnaissance versions of the P-38, the F-6 retained its armament, being used primarily in low-altitude operations where it might have to defend itself. Well-liked by those who flew it, the Mustang was not without vices careless fuel transfer could result in an out-of-tolerance centre of gravity and control problems, and the liquid-cooled engine, with its coolant jacket, radiators, and tubing, was far more vulnerable to battle damage than was the P-47’s air-cooled radial (making the latter the preferred machine for ground attack).

About 13,300 Merlin-powered Mustangs were produced in the United States. Though production contracts were canceled at war’s end, the P-51 remained in service with the Air Force for several years thereafter. P-51s, some taken out of “mothballs,” were used for ground-attack missions early in the Korean War (1950–53). Mustangs also were used by Nationalist forces in the Chinese Civil War and by Israel in the 1956 Sinai invasion. P-51s continued to serve in less-developed countries into the 1960s and last saw combat in Salvadoran hands during the 1969 Soccer War with Honduras.

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – October 16, 1943

The Torrey Rexall Drug Store on Main Street was looted of $500.50 last Saturday evening during open hours. Ardel Torrey, owner, discovered the loss about 8:20 p.m. shortly after he heard the crossbar of the rear door drop.

The thief apparently walked in with the ordinary customers. And then went to the office where he picked up the leather bag containing the money out of the unlocked safe. Torrey said the money was chiefly in twenty dollar bills.

Footprints were found leading out of a small window from the office and through the rear storeroom. The rear door can only be locked from the inside by a large crossbar. Torrey said he locked it at 6 p.m. as customary, and after he heard the large iron bar drop about 8:20 p.m. he discovered the door was unlocked.

Thinking that someone had gone out of the rear door at a later hour, he paid little attention until a few minutes later, when he stepped into the office and found things disrupted in the safe and discovered the loss.

Nothing else was apparently molested in the office. Torrey said the money is not ordinarily there.


Sources do not reveal the exact origin of this tropical cyclone. On 8 October, a developing tropical cyclone passed between the Revillagigedo Islands and Islas Marías. It moved rapidly northeastward and arrived on the coast of Sinaloa as an intense hurricane.

Mazatlán Observatory reported that the atmospheric pressure began dropping at 1:30 am on 9 October and fell 0.827 inches of mercury (28.0 hPa) in 8 hours, and reached a minimum of 958.6 millibars (28.31 inHg). At 1530 UTC 9 October, the hurricane made landfall just south of Mazatlán. At 9:30 am, the observatory reported winds of 134 miles per hour (216 km/h) for a period of 15 minutes, which period ended when the wind blew the anemometer loose. [1] The hurricane ranks as the strongest on record to strike the city.

The storm dropped little precipitation as it passed Mazatlán, but 2 inches (51 mm) fell on the afternoon of 9 October.

As the storm continued inland, it rapidly weakened and apparently dissipated over the Sierra Madre Occidental. [1] The storm apparently passed into Chihuahua and was predicted to continue into the southern United States, [2] though the remainder of its path is unknown. [1]

The cyclone dissipated over the state of Durango within a day after landfall. [3] Heavy rain developed across parts of Texas on 12/13 October 1943.

Known Pacific hurricanes that have killed at least 100 people
Hurricane Season Fatalities Ref.
"Mexico" 1959 1,800 [4]
Paul 1982 1,625 [5] [6] [7] [8]
Liza 1976 1,263 [9] [10] [11]
Tara 1961 436 [12]
Aletta 1982 308 [13] [14]
Pauline 1997 230–400 [15]
Agatha 2010 190 [16] [17]
Manuel 2013 169 [18]
Tico 1983 141 [19] [20]
Ismael 1995 116 [21]
"Lower California" 1931 110 [22] [23]
"Mazatlán" 1943 100 [24]
Lidia 1981 100 [17]

Moving ashore as a powerful hurricane, the storm destroyed the small towns of El Roble, now in Mazatlán Municipality, and Palmillas. The storm partially destroyed Villa Unión (a town now in Mazatlán Municipality) and severely damaged the port at Mazatlán. In these towns, approximately 100 persons lost their lives. [1] Though the storm was reported to have struck "without warning", [25] most residents in the destroyed cities ably reached safety in higher ground. [26] The hurricane destroyed about half of the buildings in Mazatlán, and near the ocean, the combination of strong waves, high winds, and rainfall heavily damaged many hotels and houses. [25] The storm damaged water systems, leaving people without potable water or sewage systems. [27] In a 50 miles (80 km) portion of the coastline, the storm severely impacted the communication and transportation infrastructure. The airport at Mazatlán sustained damage to its radio tower, and for at least 18 hours, the only communication between the city and the rest of Mexico was through the radio of a plane in the airport. [25] Total damage was estimated at $4.5 million (1943 USD, $56 million 2008 USD). [1]

Of several fishing boats and a small Mexican Navy vessel caught in the storm, no trace reportedly was found all persons aboard these vessels apparently died. A small coastal boat arrived in the port of Mazatlán after the storm and reported six crew members missing. [1]

Within two days after the storm, the death toll rose to 18 [28] the next day, the Associated Press reported 52 deaths and 102 injuries. [29] Ten days after the storm, military officials reported the death toll rose to 57, [30] and the number of people left homeless by the storm reached over 1,000. [31]

By 24 hours after the storm, President Manuel Ávila Camacho ordered nurses and doctors on standby, and for military workers in the area to prepare to assist in the aftermath. [25] By five days after the storm, officials had restored power and communications in the area. Around the same time, the president issued an appeal for public donations for storm victims. [32] Within a week, citizens sent large quantities of food, clothing, and medicine to the worst affected areas. [27] The President of Mexico personally visited Mazatlán with other officials, bringing aid in the form of medicine and clothing. [31]

Only two other intense hurricanes struck Mazatlan during the period of record: Hurricane Olivia (1975), which hit the city with winds of 115 miles per hour (185 km/h), and a storm in 1957. [33] However, Hurricane Tico (1983) moved ashore very near the city as a major hurricane. [34]

6 October 1943 - History

For those who worked on the Burma end, the men used the distance from Base Thanbyuzayat as camp names. Example: 35 Kilo Camp, MacPherson's first camp in Thailand the tendency was to use the name of the nearest village, so the list below gives both name (Tanyin) and kilo (35) camp designation. (As of 29 Sept 2005)

Chart of Movements -- Detail of Movements

Special Link:
Information on Thailand-Burma Railway Centre
Special Article: Dutch perception of Death Railway

Archival Documents from NARA: (PDF format)

THAI-BURMA RAILWAY - Assorted maps of the TBR (poor image quality)

Asst. original documents on Thailand camps (RG 24 Box 6) - Report on camps by John Slaughter (Royal Norfolk Regiment), with maps Swiss telegrams re USS Houston survivors, list of American POWs in Thailand lists of British and Dutch POWs deceased in Saigon camp grave lists and detailed locations (Apparon 80-kilo camp, Sino Anganan 100-kilo camp, Cemetery #1 Kanchanaburi) Roselle death certificate British, American and Australian POWs killed by bombings at camps in Thailand, Mukden, Taiwan, Osaka, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Sendai (includes some casualty cards)

JAG Files on Malaya camps (RG 153 Box 105) - Rangoon camp, Maymyo camp Burma, Tamarkan camp Thailand CELLUM testimony, Incidents in Thai camps, Serang and Thai camp reports, Borneo camps, few pages from Treatment of Malayan People and Singapore camp report

Asst. Place Name Cards for Java Camp Group Area (RG 153 Box 7, JAG files) - cards are mixed in with other area camps, contain many names and places relating to deaths, news events, atrocities, etc.

Burma, Thailand, Siam camps (RG 389 Box 2120) - Harrell Report on Tamwan, Siam Petchaburi, Siam Moulmein, Burma (camp sketch) List of Java and South East Asia camps p1 - p2 - p3 - p4 Duffy drawings (see below) Ban Pang, Siam Airport Camp, Makasuri, Pakan Bahru (Serang Civil Prison, Batavia and Singapore camp sketches) Norwood at Truk jail (sketch) Kellogg Report on Bangkok Gorski letter to Norwood Map of Norwood trip to Singapore 142nd General Hospital roster Gorski report on Sumatra Tamarakan camp, Siam (camp sketch) Camp map Thai-Burma Railway Report on Malaya camps Hamlin statement USS Houston Clark letter to Norwood Color map of TBR Burma camp photos 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Schram affidavit Summers affidavit Rogers report on 100 Kilo camp (sketch) Heinen report on 100 Kilo camp (sketch) Letter to Barrett Stensland report on Thanbyuzayat Burma Norwood map of TBR Pryor letter on 80 Kilo camp Summers report on Tamarkan (camp sketch) Keithly affidavit Thai camp photo Tamuang camp photos 1 - 2 Slaughter report on Thai camps Map of prison camps near Kanchanaburi Chung Kia camp sketch

Burma, Thailand, Siam camps (RG 389 Box 2120A) - 80 Kilo camp (sketch) Bangkok Mail drop from Rabaul Aussies Rasbany report on Brenkassey Thailand Kanbury Thailand huts photo Leon report on Nakhon Pathon Thailand Pryor report on Technicians camp Thailand Rasbany report on Tamajoe Thailand (sketch) Condition of POWs on TBR

Thailand Camps Death Roster and SEA Camps Report (RG 389 Box 2155) - Death roster for 136 US, Canada, Denmark, New Zealand POWs (1942-08-15 to 1945-09-05) Locations of camps on TBR in Japanese p1 - p2 - p3 Report on POW Camps in SE Asia taken from info from POWs and civilian internees (75 pages)

MALAYA_THAILAND_Vol 1_Australian_roster Part 1 - Part 2 (RG 407 Box 120)
MALAYA_THAILAND_Vol 3_Dutch_roster Part 1 - Part 2 (RG 407 Box 121)
MALAYA_THAILAND_Vol 4_Dut_Aus_Other_rosters Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 (RG 407 Box 121) - Dutch, Australian Canadian, New Zealand, Danish, French, Greek ( from p. 259)
MALAYA British deaths (some Dutch) (RG 407 Box 174) - Unreported Deaths of Allied Personnel. March - October 1943.
BURMA-04_roster (WO 361-2204) - British and American POWs at Burma Camp 6, later IV. Some rosters show if living, dead or killed in action (KIA), cause of death and burial site.
THAILAND_POW_Camps_rosters (WO 361-2171) - Numerous rosters of POWs in Thailand. All nationalities listed by camp and/or party. These camps and parties include: Honshu No. 3, No. 1 Branch, No. 2 Branch, Akrodome Camp - Musicians - III, Tamuan - III, Honshu No. 4, Tamarkan 300 Party - III, Burma - Lonshi - 3 Branch, Burma - 75 Meiloe Party, Burma - Apalon - III, Nonpladuk - III, Honbu - III, Nakompatong - III, Hen-Da-Tai - III, and Escapes - III.
THAILAND-01_Roster Part 1 - Part 2 (WO 361-2170) - Two rosters of Dutch, British and Australian POWs. 2nd roster is of deceased POWs.
THAILAND-07_British_roster_A-N Part 1 - Part 2 (WO 361-2172)
THAILAND-10_Saigon_roster (WO 361-2000) - Rosters of British, Australian and Dutch POWs. Part I = Personnel in Camp Part II = Attached No. 8 Group Part III = Saigon No. 8 Group Part IV = Officers No. 7 Group (no pages) Part V = Deceased Part VI = Escaped.
THAILAND_Deaths (WO 361-1518) - Statistics all in Japanese, by grave site and nationality
THAILAND_Main_Camp_Deaths Part 1 - Part 2 (WO 361-1526) and THAILAND_Main_Camp_Maps_Deaths Part 1 - Part 2 (WO 361-1526) - August 1942 to December 1943. Many entries and pages are in Japanese. Anglo and Dutch names all mixed together, and are NOT in alphabetical order.
THAI-BURMA-RR_deaths_cemeteries (WO 361-2235) - Thai-Burma Railway camps death rolls cemetery details, with sketches. Maps and causes of death included for most cemeteries. Also lists of amputations and causes. Mostly British, Dutch & Australians.
Cemeteries: Tamuan, Tasao (1, 2, 3 - Cholera), Tonchan (Main, South, Spring & Cholera), Tampi, Kanyu (1, Lower Main, Upper 2, Lower 2, Upper 3), Kinsayoke, Kinsaiyoku 1 Jungle, Kinsayoke 2 Jungle, Kinsayoke Dutch, Wampo, Hintock, Klian Klai, Chunkai, Chunkai South, Chungkai 4 South, Tamakan, Nakom Patom, Kanburi, St. Luke's, Timonta, 243 Kilo, Namuchonyai, Wampo, Tasao 2, Near Wanyai, Bonde, Nonpladuk, Between Wanyai and Tardan, Konquita, Hindato, Longi 62 K, Non Pladuk, Pungysho, Changi, Takanun, Brenkasi, Near Wampo North, 190 Kilo, 213 Kilo, Bandapong, Thai 1 Shiu Sheky Sho, Pratchapkirikan, Noohin, Minowa, Takyle, Takiri, Ratburi, Pakudo, Niki, 1 1/2 Kilo, Sonkrai SW, Village & Station, 229 Kilo, Krekonta, Tamajo, Takuri, Pratchai & 13 Kilo.
SIAM American deaths (RG 407 Box 190) - April 1943 to November 1944 (camp undetermined)
SIAM British deaths (some Dutch) (RG 407 Box 174) - Unreported Deaths of Allied Personnel (British). August 1942 - May 1945.

Capt. Benjamin Barnett Diary, Australian 8th Division Signals F Force - covers period from Changi to Burma used as exhibit in Tokyo War Crimes Trials, containing payment info and transfers to other camps (transcription, DOCX file)

Books and Videos:
The Burma Railroad - The Drawings of Jack Chalker - The sample pages give you an idea of the depth of anguish suffered by the men who slaved for Japan on the infamous railroad. While not reviewed, we have seen numerous example of Jack Chalker's drawings and believe this should be part of any serious POW book collection. (Cover Image)
Captive Audiences, Captive Performers )

Roger Stone (1120606), died Oct. 20, 1943, age 23 - Photo front, back (courtesy of Elizabeth Sargent)

Watch the video: October 6 1943 benevento ripresa aerea